Feminism. It’s a scary word for some people… and rightly so I guess. I mean the media depicts feminists as people who are man-hating, bra burners (that happened one time, y’all). But the truth is, that’s not the majority. Just like within any group, the media only shows the small minority of negative and ignores the majority of positive (I could write a whole blog about that). I am a feminist because we need feminism. We need feminism for multiple reasons. Here’s a few.
- A girl’s favorite color can literally be any color, but boys aren’t allowed to like colors such as pink and purple.
- Girls are held to higher modesty standards than boys.
- Women, who have the exact same job and qualifications as men, are paid 78 cents while men make a dollar.
- African American women make even less at 64 cents to a white man’s dollar.
- The United States is the only country that doesn’t have paid maternity leave.
- The United States is also one of three countries that doesn’t have guaranteed paternity leave.
- There aren’t changing tables in men’s restrooms.
- Men are expected to hide their feelings and not express them.
- If a woman is assertive, she’s seen as *insert curse word here*
- There are more male CEOs with the name John than all women CEOs combined.
And I could go on and on, but I’m not going to because hopefully you get the point. With those ten facts, I’m not even mentioning sexualization, objectification and the problems with the way we handle sexual assaults and rapes. I didn’t mention the fact that I hate shaving my legs with a passion, but I have to because I’m a woman. I didn’t mention a lot of things. All of you should just watch Miss Representation. It’s a great documentary. You should also research stuff about gender inequality and get informed! Being informed is so so so important.
I am well aware that I’ve spent a lot of time writing about feminism and issues surrounding gender inequality. Probably half of my blog posts mention at least a little something about it. I rant about it on a daily basis in various forms and have a group message with a few friends that’s titled “Women’s Rights and Stuff.” But I’m not going to shut up about it because it’s a real problem. A real problem that too many people don’t take seriously. It’s not just a bunch of women trying to overtake the world while walking around shirtless and burning bras (even though that would be cool…). It’s a bunch of women AND men who want gender equality, and that’s not a bad thing. Because men need feminism just as much as women do. It’s something that will benefit every human on the planet (I focused here on the United States, but gender inequality is even worse in other countries around the world and feminism is needed in those countries too). I just wish people would stop thinking of feminism as this terrible word that they can’t associate with. Everyone should want to be a feminist. If you don’t, I don’t hate you. I just don’t understand why you wouldn’t want gender equality.
Next up, a rant about how not all people in America have the money, opportunity and ability to get the education and skill required for a job that’s higher than minimum wage. So, maybe minimum wage should be a livable wage.
I’m also a little heated right now about “Christians” calling others who have different opinions/views/ideas than them extremely mean and hateful names. That’s not Jesus. It’s nowhere close to Jesus. Sigh.